Around RowHouse this week...
Veganfest 2015, is this coming Monday night February 23rd. Last year we raised nearly $4000.00 for the Topeka Rescue Mission. It all started when when I was asked if we were donating food to the helpers of the Harveyville tornado. The thought sadly hadn't occurred to me, then I realized my answer should have simply been YES. So that's what we did. We said yes. After the tornado, realizing we could embrace this idea for greater good, we started sending food each week to the Topeka Rescue Mission...all made from things we had around, all used to feed people in need. We moved on to VeganFest this annual 5 course dinner the proceeds from which we donate 100% of the money brought in for the evening to the Topeka Rescue Mission. We mean every cent. The staff donates time, the sales total, even our tips and are pooled and sent along. Why Vegan, Why February? I'm can't say exactly why, but it's definitely the event I am most proud of, and definitely something we aim to continue. A night where we eat light and fancy so that we can give to others something substantial and necessary.
The evening is about basic human rights. I've titled the dishes keeping in mind both what they are, and what we are hoping to give. I read a brief description that stuck with me defining homelessness in 6 words. They were Alone, Ostracized, Broken, Vulnerable, Hidden, and Unheard. Our menu is about Life, Equality, Freedom, Protection, Dignity, and Happiness. Thanks for being apart of something good.
VeganFest Menu, Monday February 23, 2015...
- Life: Juice Shot of Cucumber, Mint, and Ginger
- Freedom: Vegetable Noodles Tossed with Parsley, Pistachio, and Garlic
- Equality: Nuts, Dried Fruits, Apples, Jicama, Celery. Herb Vinaigrette and Vegan Ailo
- Protection: Beet Soup with Orange and Cilantro
- Dignity: Grains Bowl with Quinoa, Chickpeas, Greens, Snap Peas, Carrot, Butternut Squash and Coconut Sauce
- Happiness: Blueberry and Orange "Cheesecake" with Cocoa, Date, and Nut Crust
100% of sales from VeganFest are donated to the Topeka Rescue Mission. Dinner is $43. P/Person. Select Wine and Spirits are Available
Our menu Feb 25 - 28, 2015...
- Salad: Baby Greens, Pecans, Candied Bacon, Asiago Cheese, Peach Vinaigrette
- Soup: Chickpea and Rosemary Minestrone
- Vegetarian Entree: Ginger and Wild Mushroom Risotto with Cream and Parmesan
- Entree 2: Seared Salmon, Roasted Beets, Caper Vinaigrette
- Entree 3: Beef Tenderloin, Shallot and Balsamic Vinaigrette, Cauliflower Puree
- Dessert: Grapefruit Sorbet with Shortbread Cookies
- Dessert: Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding with Whiskey Caramel and Raisins
- Dessert: Cherry and Chocolate Cobbler with Whipped Cream
Our menu Feb 18 - 21, 2015...
- Salad: Kale, Romaine, English Cucumbers, Feta, Parsley and Mint Vinaigrette
- Soup: Creamy Tomato Dill
- Vegetarian Entree: Sweet Potato and Celery Root Latkes, Cinnamon Poached Apple Compote, Sour Cream
- Entree 2: Coconut Crusted Mahi Mahi, Orange Cream Sauce, Carrot Puree
- Entree 3: Beef Tenderloin, Syrah and Rosemary Syrup, New Potato and Kale Succotash
- Dessert: Sorbet with Shortbread Cookies
- Dessert: Peanut Butter Cream Pie with Chopped Peanuts and Graham
- Dessert: French Chocolate Cake with Berry Coulis
Our menu Feb 4 - 7, 2015...
- Salad: Kale, Romaine, Mint, Red Onion, Peanut Vinaigrette
- Soup: Butternut Squash with Curry, Ginger, and Cilantro
- Vegetarian Entree: Celery Root and Sweet Pepper Pot Sticker, Carrot Slaw, Raisin Compote
- Entree 2: Sesame Seed Crusted Mahi Mahi, Stir Fried Cabbage and Snap Peas, Green Onion and Orange
- Entree 3: Boneless Korean Beef Shortribs, Wasabi Whipped Sweet Potato, Radish and Cilantro Salad
- Dessert: Celery and Basil Sorbet with Shortbread Cookie
- Dessert: Citrus Creme Brulee with Plum Jam
- Dessert: Almond Cupcakes with Green Tea Glaze
Our menu Jan 28 - 31, 2015...
- Salad: Kale, Romaine, Bleu Cheese, Candied Pecans, Blueberry Vinaigrette
- Soup: Cream of Fennel and Celery with Roasted Leeks
- Vegetarian Entree: Butternut Squash and Gouda Cheese Polenta with Rosemary Mushroom Stew
- Entree 2: Cajun Spiced Shrimp, Brussels Sprouts Slaw, Green Onion Vinaigrette
- Entree 3: Balsamic BBQ Glazed Beef, Smashed Red Potatoes, Sauteed Greens
- Dessert: Raspberry and Peach Sorbet with Shortbread Cookies
- Dessert: Poppyseed Cupcake with Lemon Icing
- Dessert: Vanilla Cream Pie with Whiskey Caramel, Toasted Graham Crackers
Dinner at RowHouse is $43 per person. Our Tasting menu includes a sampling of every item on our menu for the week. Please feel free to choose only one of the entrees and still enjoy the other courses. We are also happy to make portions more "modest" if you would like. We do our best to accommodate food allergies and dietary restrictions.
When making reservations please know the house has three levels and many unique dining rooms. The main floor is handicap accessible, but the top floor and garden level do have stairs. We try to honor table and floor request but are not always able to do so because of limited space for large groups. If you have a specific table or room you'd like, please let us know when making your reservation and we will do our best to make it happen. We are contantly looking for ways to make your evening with us even better. One of us is on staff at RowHouse Wednesday through Saturday from 2 pm to Close. We return calls Wednesday through Saturday in the order received.
We have a lovely winelist, Premium Liquors, awesome cocktails, and great beers. Wine and Alcohol cannot be brought in to the restaurant as of April 1, 2011
Some of my local favorite places to eat.....
Some of my Favorite Places...
Tumptim Thai: I can't say enough good thing about their food. Yum!
The Blind Tiger: I come from beer people. This is good beer.
Chez Yazu: Beautiful, intimate and so French.
El Mezcal Topeka Boulevard: Staple: once a week at least.
The Celtic Fox: Give me a Smithwick's
Quniton's: Great sandwiches and an amazing tap selection. Love the new bistro burgers!
The Burger Stand: College Hill Area
Encore: Lawrence Secret: get the Vegan General Tsao's Chicken"
715: Lawrence - One of my favorite restaurants
Check out Greg's Food Blog on Cj Online